Do you love entertainment? BET is seeking it's next scripted BALA VP! Candidate will handle a heavy volume of production- and development-related scripted work primarily for BET Studios, which will develop and produce original content and license studio programs to internal and external platforms. Candidate will also support business and legal affairs matters for BET Networks and the BET+ streaming platform. This position will be remote and then can either be in Los Angeles or New York.
Primary duties will include:
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating agreements involving the development and, production of original, licensed, and co-produced and licensing of scripted television programs including, series, mini-series, and “movies-of-the-week.” These agreements will include, without limitation, sales, distribution, and financing agreements, talent agreements (including test-option agreements), writer agreements (including creators and staff writers), director agreements, rights agreements (life-rights, book option etc.), overall agreements, first look/right agreements, and production company agreements.
- Performing day-to-day legal work for television programs, which will include:
- vetting creative summaries/pitches/potential characters for legal and business risk;
- leading all aspects of and providing on- and off-set advice to third-party production companies, producers, and creative executives on development- and production-related matters and legal analysis;
- working with internal departments (e.g., talent, music & media licensing, labor and employment, risk management, intellectual property & litigation, accounting/finance, press/publicity, and digital) in connection with legal concerns that may arise in connection with production and development and to ensure compliance with BET Studios and BET Networks policies and procedures;
- and performing other day-to-day legal and business affairs-related tasks as needed and assigned by the Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs.