Our team is looking for a Senior Director of Music and Licensing Strategy! In this role you will collaborate with the Senior Vice President and Vice President to achieve desired results related to music, branded and promotional content across various networks including MTV, VH1, LOGO, CMT, BET, Paramount Network, and Comedy Central. You will formulate licensing strategy and negotiate favorable rates for the use of music and other third party elements. You are exercising your strong creative music supervision skills and comprehensive knowledge of music, its history, genres, and styles, and staying up to date with current music and trends. You will be at the forefront of the production process including script review and creative concept vetting, partnering with Creative, Production Management, Business and Legal Affairs, IP Litigation, executing in alignment with the client’s and business’ day-to-day needs and strategic vision in a fast-paced environment. This role oversees the day-to-day activities of Project Based Employees and/or Interns as required.
- Lead all aspects of copyright research, quote negotiation, licensing, and rights tracking to secure use from copyright owners of music, film, TV, photography, video games, digital content, books, magazines, record label content, artist management to meet production requirements.
- Support the creative and practical needs of Music Supervisors, TV Producers, Composers and Artists, Record Labels, Music Publishers, PROs, Music Clearance and Music Administrators
- Draft and analyze complex license agreements and contracts to draw conclusions from knowledge of issues that impact copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues.
- Liaise between Production Management, Production Executives, creative ad agencies and additional internal and external partners to execute Networks’ programming and marketing strategies and proactively identify rights issues/necessary permissions.
- Organize on-camera music needs involving musicians and singers. Oversee music arrangement, pre-recordings, music clearances, coordinate engineer and studio availability with production, and handle/oversee hiring of musicians.
- Proactively propose innovative ways for problem solving during the content production and execution process to achieve desired results when reviewing scripts to identify music, lyrics, footage, photos and third party intellectual property requiring clearance.
- Manage clearance budgets, maintain and review clearance reports and cue sheets. Ensure timely and accurate payments and legal delivery of clearance documentation.
- Ability to lead effective presentations on rights and licensing related topics to client groups, to educate and build dynamic working relationships across functions.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- Established relationships within the licensing community including with record labels, music publishers, managers, music supervisors and production companies.
- Deep understanding of licensing in Third Party IP (including music, footage, photos, logos and fonts) and their use in advertising, promotions, and third party brand integrations
- Comprehensive understanding of music and media industry needs and trends to provide strategic direction for new partnership and cross promotional opportunities.